Monday, July 5, 2010

Training for a Vacation




Around the same time that Dave and I decided to travel to the Tour De France, I also decided that I wanted to be in shape for it. In fact, I was determined to be in the best shape of my life. If I was going to travel to the same mountains that the peleton would climb, I wanted to climb them too (granted not as fast!).

My training began last October. I had suffered a few years of set backs - ending with surgery that I had to have last year (which kept me from riding last year's LIVESTRONG Challenge in Philly). As soon as the docs said I could start working out again - I hit the gym. And the obsession started. I went to the gym almost every day all winter, even through the mega DC snow storms. And as soon as it was above 40 degrees I started running and cycling outside. In years past, I never got on my bike until after Memorial Day weekend each year, so this was a huge change in my life. This year, by the time Memorial Day weekend rolled around I had lost 40 pounds and had run my first half marathon!

Then Dave and I headed to Colorado for a week at the beginning of June to visit our good friend. We flew our bikes out with us so we could conquer some huge climbs at altitude. I figure if I could climb hills in the Rockies, then I could probably handle the Alps and Pyrenees. While we were out there, we had a couple epic rides (and some great runs too). My favorite ride was a 60-mile loop up a canyon out of Boulder, Co. We covered about 4500 ft of climbing and took in some incredible views. Two days later we drove out to Vail and rode the Vail pass. 45-miles, 4,000ft of climbing at 11,000ft altitude. All amazing. I just kept telling myself that if I hadn't been training for months and months, I would never have been able to experience those incredible accomplishments.

Since Colorado, I've been keeping up my training as much as possible. I'm out on the roads, either running or riding at least 5 or 6 days a week. Ten months ago, I was dragging myself to the gym on cold, dark nights - and now I'm about to get the big pay off!

And before I end this post, I want to thank my amazing husband for dragging me up countless climbs, carrying extra water bottles and cliff bars, fixing my bike, teaching me everything I need to know and pushing me to do my very best. I couldn't have done any of this without him. Next stop, the Alps! And then on to Tourmalet!

No comments:

Post a Comment